On September 29, 1938, Ikoyi Club 1938 officially came into being through the merger of the European Club and Lagos Golf Club. The Incorporation was entrusted to three nominated trustees namely, Sir Donald Kingdom, Henry Stewart and David Duncan Gibb. The European Club was first located on the site of what was later known as the Ikoyi Hotel which was then Ikoyi Government Guest House, also known as the Catering Rest House.
The Lagos Golf Club moved from 18, Race Course Road to the present location in 1927, and at one time occupied the land on which the old Federal Secretariat Ikoyi now stands. Long after the amalgamation of the European Club and the Lagos Golf Club, the Ikoyi Club 1938 remained essentially an “expatriates club” run by top European Civil Servants and members of the business communities. The Ikoyi Club 1938 has metamorphosed from its European only membership into one of the best examples of multiracial clubs in the world with membership drawn worldwide.
The modern-day Ikoyi Club 1938 is a story of success. Ikoyi Club 1938 is a private member family Club and it occupies an enviable area of approximately 456 acres of land and provides first class facilities for about 10, 000 members. The main House Facilities comprise a reception area, large symmetrical hall known as the Rotunda (where formal Club events take place) which overflows into the Patio Bar, an expansive lounge that house a medium sized dancing floor and a roomy bar named the main bar, a well equipped Kitchen with its own internal convenience, changing room and a kitchen administrative office occupied by the Chef.
In addition, the ground floor of the main house accommodates the Snooker, Billiard & Pool rooms, cads Bar, TV room, the duty Manager’s office, Audit, ICT and membership Services departments. On the first floor, we have the General Committee room which could be described as the HEART of the club-this is where decisions that shape the future of the club are made. This floor also hosts the main library, Children’s Library, Accounts department, offices of the Club Chairman and Senior Management Staff.
The second floor is home to the Committee Secretariat and Committee room 2.
The Club operates as an association under an incorporated trustee model. The Trustees guide the General Committee in the policy formulation necessary for the management of the Club.
The General Committee is made up of the Club Chairman, Vice Chairman, Honorary Secretary, Honorary Treasurer, Golf Captain (five of them are referred to as Office Bearers), Tennis Chairman, Swimming Chairman, Squash Chairman, Table Tennis Chairman, Badminton Chairman, Snooker, Billiard & Pool Chairman, Entertainment Chairman and the Other Sports Chairman. These members are elected annually for a maximum term of two years at the February annual general meetings of the main house and sections. They are supported in the committee by the following appointed advisers- Premises Adviser, Bar Adviser & Catering Adviser
The Golf Captain is the only office Bearer who is elected at the annual general meeting of a section (Golf). The Golf Captain is also the only member of the General Committee that is eligible for election for only one term of one year.
The Trustees are elected in accordance with the rules for a life long term at the floor of February Annual General Meeting.